With the spring season soon rounding the corner to summer, thoughts turn to enjoying the outdoors and sharing moments with our friends and family. Almost as important as these moments are the places we gather to share them. An outdoor patio setting is a great place to create a warm and welcoming environment to share a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and great conversation.
It doesn’t matter if your outdoor space is a townhouse patio, the deck on a condo, or the veranda off a large home, an inviting space can be created anywhere with just a few basic principles:
- Define your space - Just like walls define a room, plants and planters can be used to achieve the same effect. By establishing a border using plants and planters, it creates a frame for you to develop your outdoor space.
- Area Rugs – An area rug can bring the whole area together and is a great way to add to the frame we just created. There are many styles, sizes and materials available now, so weather is no longer a big concern. Prater Mills Makes a great reversible outdoor rug made out of recycled plastics.
- Furniture Placement- Keep in mind you want conversation to flow. You need to be able to look at your guests comfortably, so place your furniture accordingly. There should be room for at least a small table or cubes in the center for glasses and a candle or two.
- Add colour - Add some colour to the groundwork you’ve already laid with toss cushions and cozy throws for those cooler nights. The colours you choose do not have to be an extension of the interior of your home. Have some fun! Get bold, go blue for a change.
- Finishing Touches – A sheer curtain is a lovely way to filter sun and calm the breeze, this is what we refer to as a “soft” element. Votive candles are a great addition as well, and work well giving good, low light.
Let this space you’ve created have its own personality, and allow it to show a different side of you. Enjoy!